Dangerous human food ~ by Tiffany
Let’s be real. Even if you have a strict “no table food” rule at your house, accidents happen. Food falls on the floor. Taller dogs steal a snack right off your counter. Maybe you have a toddler who decided feeding the dogs is HILARIOUS. (I may just be listing my own personal issues). Hey, my own dogs didn’t even know other food existed outside their dog bowls until their little sister was born. Every time she eats, it’s all I can do to make sure the majority of her food makes it into her mouth and doesn’t make a detour to the floor.
While I love seeing her bonding with our dogs and all the joy it brings her, I’m always careful of what she’s feeding them: Number one, because I don’t want them becoming too “fluffy” and number two, because some foods we eat are just not safe for our four legged companions.
There are some human foods, including many fresh fruits and vegetables that are fantastic treats for your pet. Many dogs really enjoy carrots, apples, green beans, bananas, plain cheerios, and many other healthy human foods. If you would like a list of foods that are A-Okay to feed your pet, stop by our office and ask for a healthy snack list.
Most people know that chocolate is very dangerous for dogs, but there are a lot of other foods to be aware of as well. A few examples include the following:
Grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in cats and dogs.
Garlic and onions contain chemicals that damage red blood cells in cats and dogs. Cooking these foods does not reduce their potential toxicity.
Fatty foods, especially food cooked in grease, can lead to pancreatitis.
Alcohol suppresses the central nervous system, can cause slowed breathing and heart rate, and can cause a heart attack. Never knowingly give your pet alcohol for any reason. Be careful with foods cooked with alcohol that your pet may try to investigate.
A longer list of dangerous foods and information can be found at http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets.
If your pet ingests something that you’re unsure was safe for them, contact our office or the emergency clinic if after hours.