Spring Dangers

Pets can find and ingest a strange assortment of things and as a pet owner, it is important to examine your environment and recognize any potential hazard. There are many internet sites available which are invaluable in identifying potential poisonous plants, shrubs, or food items that are dangerous if eaten by your pet. (i.e. http://www.aspca.org/) Your veterinarian is also an important source of information regarding hazards .

As we begin our spring gardening, we must remember what we use to fertilize and kill weeds could be harmful to animals. Please be careful when placing rodent and/or ant killer least they be considered a “tasty treat”. Disposal of any chemical ( especially anti-freeze) should be done according to directions since run-off and/or pooling could be swallowed.

Human medication left out by accident can easily be eaten by a pet . Holiday candy ( chocolate!) and decorations ( i.e. Christmas tinsel, Easter grass, glass balls) are also potential hazards. Sewing items, loose change, hair ties, clothing , jewelry, small toys, and nails are just a few items which have had to be removed surgically from the stomach or intestines of pets!

If you suspect your pet has ingested something hazardous or injurious ,you should seek medical attention immediately. Some signs of potential poisoning or injury are:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive drooling
  • Tremors
  • Unsteady gait
  • Seizures

Please do not hesitate to call us at Animal medical Clinic if you have any questions and/or concerns.